Monday 14 January 2013

Roasted Squash, Coconut & Chilli Soup...

Hi, it's Margaret, you may know me as the girl who used to post here then vanished... Well I'm back! I feel so guilty as I'd planned so many posts for Christmas, the only good news is that I have taken loads of photos that can now be used for next Christmas (now that's thinking ahead!)...

Anyhow, the stuff that interfered with my blogging was mostly good. I got the edits back on my novel two weeks before Christmas and that just zapped up any free time I had, and I also finished up in my job. Something I hadn't been expecting but we're currently viewing that as an opportunity rather than a threat...

So now here I am, for the first time in my adult life, with time on my hands. The book is still taking up a lot of it (we won't mention the second one that I have an upcoming deadline for) but apart from the endless worry about making ends meet, life is pretty good.

So, armed with my the guilt that I hadn't cooked properly for my family (let alone blogged) in weeks, the knowledge that we're now on a budget (urgh)  I recently spent some of my treasured Christmas Book Tokens on Donal Skehan's 'Great Food for Less'...

This is a great book. Like Donal's TV programme, it's full of good, simple ideas presented in a pleasant 'you can do it' manner and covers all types of dishes from slow-cooked meals to desserts and baking.
Anyhow, the recipe I'm suggesting to you today is from that first section 'slow cooked meals, soups and stews' and was coincidentally given to me by a good friend just before Christmas, who also found it a delight to both make and eat.

So here goes: Roasted Squash, Coconut & Chilli Soup...

1 kg butternut squash peeled and chopped into rough chunks
A few thyme sprigs
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
2 red onions peeled and chopped
1 tsp chilli flakes
I tin of coconut milk
1 pint of vegetable stock
Sea salt & black pepper
Crusty bread to serve

Preheat your oven to 220, place your squash together with the thyme into a roasting tin and toss in 1tbsp of the oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 45 mins or until edges are charred and squash is tender when pierced with a fork.

In a large pot, heat the remaining oil and fry the onions until soft. Stir through chilli and fry for another minute.

Discard the thyme and add the roasted squash to the pot along with the coconut milk and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

Remove from the heat and using a hand blender whizz until you have a smooth consistency. Add more stock if you find its too thick. Check seasoning, adding more salt/pepper as required. Serve in warm bowls with crusty bread.

Absolutely delicious and the first of many recipes I intend to try from this book. It has really put me in the mood for cooking again which has to be a good thing or my time as a Stay at Home Writer/Wife/Mother won't last for long - its just a pity he hasn't a similar one about ironing...!!

thanks for having me back,
Margaret
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment